Friday, September 5, 2008

Morning Meetings

I decided to write about morning meetings because I have thought about if I want to do morning meetings in my classroom quite a bit. After reading the morning meetings packet I really can't think of any reason not to have morning meetings be a part of my classroom. I think that there are so many benefits that come from having morning that it would only make my classroom better. There are a few changes that I would make so that my meetings are personalized to fit my classroom needs and make them my own. I think to start out I would just have my morning meetings once a week on mondays, but have them go a little bit longer than 15-30 min. I'm not sure though because I will just have to see how they work in my future classroom. I am not apposed to having them every day, but I will just have to see how they work in my class. I love the idea of morning meetings making my students feel closer and more involved with one another. I really want my students to feel comfortable in my classroom and not feel shy. I have a niece that is so shy and will not talk at school. It makes me feel so bad and I know that I will have students like that im my future classroom so I want to have my classroom be a place where each student feels safe and feels like they can be friends with everyone and not be emberassed. I also want my students to be able to share things that are important to them to the class and morning meetings are a perfect way for them to tell what they want and have other students get involved in their lives and come closer as a class. I think that having morning meetings are a great way to teach everyday things like interacting with one another and learning everyday things without my students feeling like they are bored with a lecture or a regular lesson. It is also a great way to start out the week or day, depending on how often you choose, with new things that will be happening and different activities the class will be doing so that each and every student feels involved and on top of things. I never had a class where we did morning meetings, but I really think that I would have liked them. I am excited to go and see some classrooms that have morning meetings so I can get a better idea of different things I would like to do. I got a lot of ideas from the reading and the reading also helped me to decide on having morning meetings. I liked the ideas about how to involve parents and let them know how important morning meetings are. I think the best thing for me is to talk one on one to parents about them, invite them to the class to see the morning meetings and also give them a few studies and articles to read if they would like about how much of a good influence morning meetings can and have been in classrooms. I am so excited to learn more about different activities I can do and other ways I can help my students become close and involved with each other and the class. I really think morning meetings will be a great activity that both my students and I will love.

1 comment:

Teacherheart said...

I'm so glad that you've identified the merits of holding morning meetings. You stated, "I am not apposed to having them every day, but I will just have to see how they work in my class. I love the idea of morning meetings making my students feel closer and more involved with one another. I really want my students to feel comfortable in my classroom and not feel shy." I want to suggest that you consider how students' perceptions of themselves and their relationships with teacher & classmates differ between classes where they have MM daily and where they have them once a week. It should really depend on what you want them to do. Holding them ONCE a week will give students an event to look forward to and plan for. The down-side is that they CAN become more like weekly meetings where problems are solved and plans are made. There is certainly nothing wrong with that... it's a great way to create a democratic atmosphere. When morning meetings are held daily, in a manner similar to what you read and about and saw on the video, your chances of building that sense of belonging, sharing, and close friendship is stronger than if you have MM once a week. I'd love to figure out a way to do some research on it, because I can't PROVE this, but I really believe daily MM are the only way to build that community where kids can absolutely feel safe, secure enough to take a risk, and certain that they belong and can contribute.