Friday, September 19, 2008

Surveys

I feel like this reading there was not a lot to read about, but had a lot to learn. Finding out about your studetns is so important!!!! I am always scared that I will miss something in one of my students lives or I will not know something about them that I need to know. There are so many things about being a teacher that absolutely terrify me and one of them is not knowing how to best teach each child and in the end being a bad teacher because I didn't know what to do. So I really liked all of the ideas and surveys that were given. What a perfect way to, not only get to know each and every one of your students, but also to learn about their learning interests and they way they feel that they best learn. By giving students surveys to feel out, the teacher will be able to tweek lessons so that the lesson is better fit for their particular class and for each particular student. I also think that students feel like their teacher really wants to get to know them and is interested in their lives which starts out the school year with the students already beginning to trust their teacher.
The book gave some great ideas on what to ask students and different ways to do it. I liked the chart on page 101 because its not just asking the students questions and having them answer them. It has the student make a chart and also practice their cutting and glueing skills (for younger grades). All of the survey information on Blackboard was very useful and each one had good ideas. I really liked the multiple intelligences survey with the smiley faces. I want to teach younger grades so i think that this is such a great way for students to tell you have they feel about something in a fun and easy way for them. It is also simple for the teacher to score and with around thirty students in your classroom simple is best in my eyes. I liked all of the surveys with pictures because I think it makes the students more interested in answering them and it is simple so even really young students can do it. For older grades the Thinking about reading and Writing Surveys were great. It gets students to think about themselves and judge their own work so that the teacher is able to see how the students feel about their work and about reading and writing. It is important to know how your students feel about things so that you as a teacher can help them learn and grow. I love all of the chart surveys because they are fun for students to do and easy for the teacher to look at and understand. I got some great ideas from the readings on how to better understand my students learning. I printed everything off and definately plan on using surveys in my classroom to learn how to teach each student in a way they will understand and learn.

1 comment:

Teacherheart said...

I'm glad you could see some potential in a few of the inventories. You will need to "do" two different types of inventories during your 3-week field experience. Then after field, but before student-teaching, you will need to create two lesson plans that use information you gained from the inventories.